Saturday, June 2, 2012

Why Doc, Why??

Earlier this week I had scheduled my dental checkup and decided to go ahead and multitask by scheduling a follow up appointment with my ENT too.

*Quick backstory - I've had severe sinus issues for a very long time since living in a place with some "mild" mold. So finally I went in to a recommended ENT out here and got a CT scan.

Anyway, dental checkup was great. Everything from last week healed well and I can eat solids now - yes!!!! Invisalign is the next step to work out some jaw issues, at least I thought it was until I saw the price tag. Nothing irritates me more than looking at something that costs an arm & a leg and appears to be something I could make.

At the ENT they wanted to review my CT results. Deviated septum - big whoop, doesn't everyone have one? I'm not snoring or having many other issues, so that one will have to wait.

On to my sinuses. My doc knows how to get through to me - color code things. So he starts out "black is good, means open and easy airflow. Light grey means blockage, darker grey means infection." Got it. He pulls the scan up and I immediately show him all the little black spots that I can find. I was so impressed with my sinuses and relieved I could find any black at all. Then I realized he looked amused...

"Yes but you are about 90% grey. You're supposed to be 90% black." Rats! He then went on to say that whatever the way back sinuses are (why can't they have easy names) are dark grey and we need to remove the infection ASAP because it's so close to my brain. Then I saw some stars.

Why do they feel the need to scare you? I mean, I guess if he hadn't and just handed me some Nasonex I wouldn't have taken anything seriously.

So I asked what can be done. A hospital visit, go under, and they'd clean it all out and could fix the septum too. 1-2 week recovery. Ouch. And no.

I explained that I just had some restrictions put on me from a dental procedure and that I'm not good with restrictions so I asked for an option B. He's a very kind a patient man :)

Antibiotic for the next 3-4 weeks, see if it does anything. I was so excited when I said, no problem I just got off one so I should be good. All done, problem solved.

Then he asked what antibiotic and when I told him he laughed an evil, pompous laugh like that antibiotic was a low life. Oh no sweetie, a more intense one.

Instantly I thought of Oberon. But... But ... its summer. I want my Oberon and orange slice. I want my chilled glass of white wine that I only drink in the summer. I want a margarita on our deck after crappy week. These antibiotics are ruining the start of my summer!!


No comments:

Post a Comment