Monday, July 16, 2012

Don't go Chasing Waterfalls

Yeah, Nate came up with that title. Sparked your curiosity didn't it? Good, he'll be proud.

Before I get into the waterfalls reference, I want to take a minute to brag about how impressive Nate can be. We were going to go out to dinner, I had a long day and needed to keep working so I wasn't in the mood to cook (ok, just another excuse... I really hate cooking sometimes). But Nate said, no, sit and keep working, I got this. I heard lots of clanking, the door to the back deck opened and closed about 20 times and this is what I found in record time...

Amazing. I think he secured making dinners for, oh let's say the next 50 years...

So last weekend we went out on a long overdue date night with the Jacksons. We stopped in Alexandria just in time to catch some fireworks then continued on to Julie's "surprise location". Had know idea what was in store and got a little nervous when we headed into SE DC.

She took us to a new gem - the Yards Park, a new park on the river. There was a little water fountain, waterfall into a shallow pool which was inviting when it was 95 degrees at 10pm. There was also a big boardwalk, several layers of grassy areas perfect for a picnic and little nooks with lounge chairs. Very nice, must say!

So it was really hot. Julie and I decided to take our sandals off and splash around in the water.
Then Julie figured out we could walk behind the waterfall, which was pretty fun. We're kids at heart really.
I had to include this one because it turned out so creepy which is funny because poor Julie is so very afraid of scary movies and here she is looking crazy scary!

So then Julie asks if I'll run through it with her. I only asked if we were going anywhere else afterwards and she said no so 1,2,3 we ran through!

The looks on Nate and Jonathan's faces when they looked at each other, looked at us, looked at each other and said what the heck just happened?! was priceless. Also priceless - feeling like a kid again!

 "OMG, that was so fun!!"
"High five, we did it!"

We honestly thought we'd only get a little wet. But to our surprise that was one powerful waterfall and we were completely soaked. I lost an earring not even realizing it. Meh, price of having too much fun. So just like when you get off a rollarcoaster we yelled let's do it again!

 "Wait, is my butt hanging out?!"
I guess I found the cold blast to be a bit surprising... and no I didn't have the patience to fix the crazy eyes. My apologies. 

So here we were, dripping wet on date night with our dates silent in shock. We decided what better way to dry off then run around the boardwalk and the Navy Pier.

 Looking only slightly drowned...
 Rock Stars

 Nate didn't want to get too close :)

 Didn't realize this was happening in front of security...

To no surprise we dried off relatively quickly in the high temps. I love letting loose and acting like a kid. Makes you forget all the stresses in your life and it's so refreshing to just enjoy. Thank you Julie for being my spontaneously fun friend... these moments are priceless!!

Date night this weekend was a little classier but very fun. Nate and I went to the Kennedy Center to enjoy seeing the Addams Family. 
Enjoying a glass of wine on the deck overlooking the river and Georgetown waterfront before the show.

Nate can't stand to disappoint so of course we ended up with Ah-mazing seats (ps - seeing a show on a Sunday night = super cheap tickets!). 

But we were a little sad to look next to us and notice two empty seats where the Jacksons should've been but sadly they couldn't make it. 

I really enjoyed it. I used to watch the show so I could appreciate the performance and they had some pretty clever humor in there too. All too often, I disagree with the critics and thought it was great!

So that's been our recent date night fun. Chasing waterfalls (in the good way, not the way TLC warned against), enjoying the theater and some good home cookin makes life pretty darn awesome if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment