Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Looking Up Instead of Down

Warning to those who think I "brag" about my relationship with Nate - do not read this post. And if you don't necessarily think I brag but still roll your eyes, might as well stop reading this blog altogether ;)

Stress happens. A lot and always at the worst times. Come to think of it, there's never really a convenient time, it just sucks altogether. So lately there's been the usual stress, nothing special - work, life, lack of sleep, and OMIGOD WHY CAN I NOT CHOOSE A WEDDING DRESS?? So this week started off pretty roughly and with a very poor attitude. Got through the always-dreaded Monday and focussed on the endless to-do list for the week realizing I had no clue how to prioritize my week or pull of the to-do list.

When I stress I have the strangest nightmares, and they're scarily vivid. So last night I had nightmares about zombies. Yeah, sometimes I wonder too if I'm older than 5 years old. But it happened and made me shoot up out of bed. Tried to go back to sleep and then I hear the rare occassion of obnixiously loud work going on at the FedEx warehouse a short distance behind our house. Beep. Beep. Beep. BANG BANG BANG. Why do people work at 2am?? Yes, I realize the answer to this is so we can get our packages on time, but for crying out loud!

I looked over at Nate, sound asleep unphased by my constant rolling, sighing out loud, and I swear he had a slight peaceful smile on his face, enjoying every moment of the sleep I was missing. I secretly wanted to bop him over the head with my pillow out of jealousy. Calm down, I didn't do it.

So when the alarm went off after what felt like 3 hours of sleep, I wanted to call FedEx and tell them to knock it off after 11pm. Nate sensed my grumpiness, kept his distance, and would periodically give me "I'm trying really hard not to laugh at you but I do feel bad that you're grumpy" look. I told him I'm going to yell out the window like a crazy person if they decide to do work that loudly out back again tonight. I noticed the corners of his mouth twitch up a bit, trying hard to not giggle at me.

Of course, we were both running a little late so I drove him to the metro rather than him taking the shuttle. I simply told him I didn't want to talk about it and needed to just be grumpy. I got a few knee pats which said "ok babe" and we parted ways.

Came home tonight shortly before 8pm, throw dinner in the oven, collapse on the couch and Nate walks in the door with this....

Earplugs and a card that read "Guess who loves you today - same person who loves you every day, but today you get a card." Teared up because when I'm stressed I cry easily. Such a sweet, sweet man, love him!! It was exactly what I needed to put a smile on my face. The stress is still here but I have a reminder of how amazing my fiance is and at the end of the day that melts the stress.

It reminded me that I have a lot to be thankful for even amongst the drama called life.

It reminded me that life is only as stressful as you let it be.

It reminded me to look up instead of down.

No comments:

Post a Comment