Thursday, December 8, 2011

Happy Birthday BFF!

So anyone who knows me well knows I am not good with surprises. I spoil them. If it's for me, I'll do everything I can to figure it out and usually do. If it's for other people, I can't lie very well and it becomes painfully obvious that I'm hiding something and the epic fail begins. I don't mean to be like this and frankly, I really don't want to be like this. I love when surprises are successful - such a happy moment! But the anticipation kills me.

I decided to give it a try and surprise my BFF, Megan Lewis, for her birthday. She lives in MI and had asked that we and our other besties (Christina and Katie) get together and go to one of her favorite spas in Saugatuck, MI. So Christina, Katie and I decided to tell her that I couldn't make it and instead I would fly in as a surprise. Nate was excited about uninterrupted mancave time, so he opted to stay home.

I flew in on a Friday but the surprise was on Saturday so I had to remain hidden. This was difficult. I really couldn't tell anyone that I was coming for fear that someone would say something to her or on FB. I even forgot to tell my family until the last minute!

As soon as I landed I went straight to my cousin Jessica's. She just had her first baby, Easton Ryan Cousino!

I cannot tell you how precious he is. As soon as I saw him I wanted to cry but I was so excited and in a bit of shock that he was there! I mean, I remember the moment Jessica told me she was pregnant and we had LONG months after that to get used to the idea, but there's something about the first sight that makes you speechless. He's perfect. So cuddly and makes the cutest faces!

Jessica doesn't allow pictures of herself (party pooper!) so I respected that and didn't go camera crazy. I'll wait til she's less hormonal. But seeing her with her little man melted my heart. I was so impressed to see how she instantly and flawlessly transformed into an amazing mother. Easton is one lucky little dude! Can't wait to see him again!

After leaving Jessica's, I headed to Aunt Nancy's for the night. I was in the car, Christmas music on, driving roads that I grew up on and everything was sparkling white with snow. I love and miss that "I'm home" feeling. Then some jerk almost sent me into a ditch and my moment was ruined. YOU LIVE IN MI - HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN SNOW??

I had so much fun at Aunt Nancy's with the fam and precious Alaina. I couldn't have thought of a more perfect little niece. She's just hilarious and has a great personality. She keeps getting bigger (and longer!) every time I see her.

As soon as Marie started playing, Alaina HAD to investigate and join...



Her crawl is something fierce and fast! Here's cousin Kenny sliding in behind her. I was laughing so hard after this picture that I didn't take another. Alaina thought his slide move was hilarious. There's something about a child's laugh that's so infectious!

Saturday morning arrived and it was go time. Christina and I headed to Meg's and I waited in the car. Katie was already there (sn: we somehow were able to keep Katie a surprise too, not even trying, but I guess it was never confirmed so Meg was already surprised by that - nice!). I waited until Christina texted me a smiley face which was my cue to come knocking and yell surprise! Screams, hugs, jumping, ear drum damage, and more screams - Megan was so excited! She said she suspected it (dangit, I thought I did really well) but I'm going to blame that on she knows me all too well.

We were off with the birthday girl to the Bella Vita Spa. We got there an hour early and decided to grab a late lunch next door to the spa. Well, we took our time and almost missed our appointments! In a panic, Christina dropped her to-go box but Katie's cat-like reflexes saved the day!

Running up the stairs, we made it without seconds to spare and had a very relaxing pedicure together. I think at one point the four of us fell asleep. Meg then continued on to a massage that her mom treated her to (Momma Lewis was in on the surprise).

We then bee-lined it to an adorable boutique. Browsing turned into trying stuff on, which led to a full-on fashion show and resulted in a few purchases (sorry Nate you have to find out this way, but they're REALLY cute jeans!).

...don't judge, it's a lot easier if you don't have to take your boots off ;)

Later we checked into our hotel in Holland and headed to Bdubs to watch... the game. Oh MSU. You (and the refs) broke our hearts that night. Sadly, MSU was robbed of the game and lost their chance to continue on to the Rose Bowl. I.Wanted.To.Cry. But the UofM fans did what they do best and ran their mouths taunting us. Don't need to go into it again, but how about you call us 'lil bro again, worked out so well the fist time! So we left saddened but Nate's text brought back the giggles;
...don't mind the picture of the pizza at the bottom - I had to show off that I was eating Jet's Pizza, which we can't get in DC. YUM!

All in all I think Megan had a great birthday (proof is always found in goofy-faced pictures that require a LOT of explanation) and I'm very thankful that I was able to be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment