Sunday, January 8, 2012

Happy 2012!

For my 2012 resolution I have decided to focus on one goal which is to run a half marathon. SAY WHAT?! Let me clarify that - finish a half marathon. Saying "run" makes me feel like I'm going to participate in actually racing, but I just want to finish the stinkin thing. Jogging, walking, crawling, dragging it doesn't matter what I do before and while I cross that finish line - I just want to cross it!

It wasn't until I looked at the cocktail in my hand on the plane home from FL that I realized my life is about to be adjusted. Committing to running (especially when you're not previously a runner) is kinda a big deal. We all live these 100 mph lives and fitting in one more thing always takes adjustments and sacrifices.

I did just turn 28, so I feel like I should be doing things like this. That is scary seeing that written for the first time. As my cousin Tara said to me, "you're turning 28?? That's SO old!!" I thought her eyes were going to pop out of her head. But her reaction encompassed how I feel.

I know, some of you are shaking your head and saying "that's not old, you're so young" and I half agree. It's not that I feel like my life is nearing its end or anything. I just feel panic that I'm almost 30 and where I thought I would be by now and where I am are definitely not lining up. Don't get me wrong, I love my life and wouldn't trade it for the world. I just thought I would have accomplished more by now. So it's time to get crackin!

I am so lucky to have two of my favorite ladies in the whole wide world join me in this half marathon challenge. Megan Lewis and Aly Boggs-Smitely have graciously (and hesitantly) agreed to jump on board with me and tackle this together. I asked them to join me because they too are not 'runners'. I figured this will keep things real for the three of us as we will have similar challenges. Oh, and because we can easily say to each other "get your a** moving!" drill sargent style and not get offended. Those are the best friends to have!

This week kicks off my start of "training". We haven't completely decided on a race yet, so the exact date is in the air but it will be sometime in the fall. I'm all for attainable goals, especially in the beginning so for now I'm focusing on completing a 5K in under 35 minutes by February. Trust me, this is difficult for me. Definitely doable, but still challenging.

Next up will be the Parkway Classic in April (which is a 10 miler). GULP! That's nearly a half marathon so I figured it will be a good test. Oh crap, what have I gotten myself into?!

The weather was so amazing yesterday (64 degrees in January - seriously?!) so after work all I wanted to do was to get out and run. Didn't have a distance in mind, just about 30 minutes to spare before we headed to dinner with the Jacksons. I was loving it as soon as I got out.

Nate joined me on his bike, clearly bored with the slow pace about a minute into it. So he started to entertain himself by speeding off, speeding back, circling me and singing any song I asked him to. About half way through the run Nate bit it. We're not sure how it happened and usually accidents happen so quickly but this one was in severe slow motion.

Nate went to hit the brakes going downhill but we're guessing he hit them too hard. I heard a screech, turn to look and the back tire of the bike is over the top of Nate's head and he is trying desperately not to catapult over the handle bars. All joking aside, he would've gone face first into concrete, so we're very lucky he didn't.

He was somehow able to keep enough control and even managed to do a couple fancy bounces to the left putting him in the grass where he was able to finally fall. It wasn't a light fall, but at least it was in the grass so there were no injuries. Once I knew he was ok, I almost peed my pants from laughing. Honestly. Somehow I pulled it together to finish the run. Good times!

With quite the appetite, we went to Cafe Rio with the Jacksons and I destroyed a burrito. Rarely can I finish one and I was able to do it flawlessly. I love you Cafe Rio.

OH... speaking of, I have great news! Not sure it's great news for anyone other than us, but they're putting in a Chick-Fil-A right next to Cafe Rio (Falls Church location). SO excite!! Two of my favs in one place! How will I decide which to go to?!
Nate scoping it out, Jonathan fist pumping in excitement!

After dinner Julie & Jonathan taught us Pinochle which we played into the early morning hours. I remember hating that game as a kid, but thoroughly enjoyed it last night and can see myself almost enjoying it as much as Euchre. Don't worry, my MI upbringing is still holding strong :)

We also were able to finally exchange Christmas gifts. I've never seen someone so excited to get a pizza cutter as Julie, or as excited to get a pepper shaker as Jonathan.

Julie grew up making pizza and often makes homemade pizza for us but struggles with cutting it every time. You would think she would have a pizza cutter so one day we brought ours over. Her life was changed. She didn't want to give it back.

Why was Jonathan thrilled over the pepper shaker? Read Julie's blog post for the story that we can't stop laughing about!

Hope everyone else is having a great (and funny) start to 2012!

3 comments:

  1. You can totally do it! I am excited for you!
    I think I am going to do the GW classic too!

    Glad Nate is ok. I am always the worst because I always laugh when things like that happen, after making sure everyone is ok of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You should - well, only if it doesn't risk your progress after the Cherry Blossom!

    I'm going to need your expertise my dear, I'm sure to flat line at some point :)

    Once I get up to runs that you do, we should go running (carefully picking a non-frigid day of course).

    I know, you feel like a total jerk laughing but man, there's a reason they make the top videos on America's Funniest Home Videos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I die watching AFV!!

    Even if you don't get to the runs I do, we can still go, I will just run before or after to get the miles I need. :-D Anytime! I welcome a friend!!

    ReplyDelete