Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Juicing!

My mom got us (Nate) a juicer for Christmas and we were so excited to put it to use! A little worried that we might make an awful concoction, we called her to walk us through our first batch.

Carrots, celery, cucumber, apples and a little slice of ginger root (yes, I had to ask her how the heck do you cut this thing?). Threw the pieces in there, awful noises happened and then... nothing. Hmm, why no juice?
Oh.... that's a cap that needs to come off, oops!
Now we're in business!
Batch #1 didn't look all that appetizing, but we braved it. Nate wasn't so sure...
... but he ended up giving it a "mid-thumb". Not quite a thumbs up, not quite a thumbs down. I liked it. Tasted way better to me than any V8. Ok, maybe not better than V8 Splashes, but definitely close.

Then Nate wanted to get creative. I'm not so sure you should get creative with juicing. Sure make yummy flavors, but he was trying to put everything we had in our kitchen into batch #2. Truly, everything. My mom told him not to try certain things, like the banana he was about to put in there. He was really bummed, so he started listing off everything we had in our kitchen and she would say yes or no.

Then she reminded us that the crazier the ingredients got, the less we'd enjoy it, so Nate settled for being able to add a raw potato to some of the ingredients of Batch #1.

So Batch #2 consisted of carrots, celery, apples, and raw russet potato. Looks so delish, doesn't it?! Yeah... that's the layer of potato chillin at the top. YAK! But surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. I mean, tasting the combination is an odd experience, but definitely wasn't disgusting.

Very pleased with the experience, this is going to be something we will add to our diets. Shooting for at least 3 times a week for obvious health benefits. I don't think I'll let Nate make a batch without *honestly* telling me exactly what's in it though...


No comments:

Post a Comment