Thursday, February 23, 2012

Anorexia Does Not Discriminate

I'm not entirely sure why I started writing this post... I feel like I don't know what to say and yet have a lot to say all at the same time. Does that make sense? More than likely not, but I'm going to work my way through it anyway.

When I think about TJ, all I see is his smile. He always seemed to be smiling. Always happy. Granted, I wasn't very close to him in high school, so I may have not seen what those closer to him saw. But I did see him nearly everyday for four years as we made our way through high school.

I can't remember one time either in school, hanging out after school, or at his pool that I ever saw him upset. When you showed up at his house to hop in the pool he always made you feel like he was so happy you were there. He was a special, caring, gentle person. I would've never guessed what happened next.

What I didn't know was that TJ was suffering from a horrific illness - anorexia. It only intensified after high school. It was a complete shock to me when I got a phone call saying that he passed away. I didn't believe it.

I think it's safe to say when someone you know passes away, there's a natural amount of shock and disbelief let alone sadness. But when the news spread regarding the details of his illness, it was a different level of disbelief and sadness. It didn't add up. It didn't make sense. TJ? A guy, a great guy, an athlete, a straight A student... how? It was a very startling lesson that much like many other disorders, anorexia does not discriminate.

Yesterday while I was eating breakfast, I turned the news on and all of a sudden there was TJ's mom talking about TJ. I froze. Didn't really hear anything, just shocked at what I just saw. I only slightly comprehended that the full news piece was going to be on NBC later that night. I do what I always do with shocking news - text Megan. She said there was to piece on the growing number of eating disorders in boys later on Rock Center (luckily, figured out it was Nightly News instead). Here is what aired;

TJ's Story

When I turned my computer on to find the link for the video, this is what MSN greeted me with...


This morning I turned my tv on to the Today Show like every morning and there it was again.

I have mixed feelings after seeing all of this. The sadness is clearly apparent. But I am happy that his story is getting out there. If it saves one life, it's beyond worth seeing those pictures of him everywhere and talking about the details of losing sweet TJ. But I have a feeling TJ's story will save more than one life. It will help countless families and friends reach out to those who may be suffering an eating disorder, especially the unexpected boys. TJ's story will save many lives. He wouldn't have it any other way.

Please help share TJ's story to reach those who need to hear it.


*You are very missed TJ*

No comments:

Post a Comment