Friday, February 3, 2012

Hot Yoga is Da Bomb

I know it sounds awful ... attempt yoga moves in a room that's 105 degrees with I'm not entirely sure, but I'm guessing 1,000% humidity (for an hour and a half too, not just a quick 30 minute session). But it really is great, trust.

Once you get through the mental part of the "ohmigod I'm going to suffocate" you're in the clear for a very cleansing workout. With the heat, your muscles can stretch more than you ever thought which is great for anyone who is working out, especially running/weight training. There's nothing better than getting the perfect stretch on sore muscles!

Then there's the sweat. Not that it's pretty or enjoyable, but when you leave you literally feel like you left 10lbs. of toxins in the room. You feel very cleansed because clearly from you being soaked head to toe (no exaggeration there), you sweat out those 10lbs. I truly never knew shins can drip in sweat, but they do. Ew, I know.

Julie joined me after work today for a class. It was her first class and she did great! She tried every pose (very tough to do) and if she fell out she kept trying. The only moment I was worried for her was when we first walked in. I think 7 seconds went by before she said "I don't think I can do this" but she regrouped and did it like a champ! Just have to get through that first hurdle, keep calm, and you're golden.

If you're on the fence about trying it out, go for it and let me know what you think. Here are some tips
and things you need to know from the studio in Alexandria. I will add that no matter what, wear the least amount of clothing possible and you want it snug to your body. I know, we're all self-conscience in small amounts of clothing. But listen to me when I say you will be soaking wet head to toe and in 105 degrees. You won't care what you look like 1 minute into the class, you will want nearly all your clothes off.

You also want the clothes tight fitting so that when they get soaked, which they absolutely will, they don't hang way off you and only add extra weight and will get in your way. Think of what you would want to swim in - small and tight. 

Think positively and always breathe and you will enjoy it. There are times that I skip a pose and just sit and breathe. Taking a moment to do some deep breathing will definitely help if you feel like it's too much. And don't be like me and giggle when they do the breathing exercise at the beginning (you'll get mean looks and some eyes rolled at you). You want to participate in that - it's kinda crazy how well it helps you breathe deeper.

Julie and I are off to find massive amounts of food :)


Has anyone else taken a class? Did you love or hate it?


2 comments:

  1. Hey Ky! I did Bikram for the first time a week ago and I felt like I was going to vomit for about an hour afterward :-) I guess when they say you shouldn't drink much water 2 hours before class they real mean it! After reading this entry, I'm encouraged to try it again, though it was really super intense the first time (I think I only did about half the poses and felt like I was going to pass out for the other half :-D)! Thanks!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there!!

    Oh no, that's awful! It could have been the water, or food/lack of, or just all the toxins working through. I remember my first class I got the biggest headache but I think that was because I had a near empty stomach before the class.

    It's a weird balance - can't have an empty or full stomach but you do need that water just not too much. Make sure to refuel within the hour after, even if it doesn't sound appetizing.

    That's awesome you stayed for the whole class though! Definitely give it a try again & let me know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete