Sunday, February 12, 2012

Winter Got Pissed...

...when we said we were all so happy it didn't show up this year. So it did. Very minimal snow but dipped down into the 20's with some serious winds. I know I'm from MI and all, but Brrrr!!

I went to sleep last night begging that the wind would die down by the morning. So when I woke up this morning and could hear what sounded like a ghost howling outside my entire house, I thought "it's not safe to run in elements like this, I'm staying in bed". Then I remembered that I promised myself not to skip a long run. This is how I justify my indulging moments throughout the week. Don't skip my runs, especially the long runs and I get to indulge in things like this ~

Then I also remembered that I skipped one maintenance run this week and already feel so guilty. Out of bed I went. I picked the worst spot to have my breakfast and mentally get ready to go - on the basement couch wrapped in my favorite huge, cozy blanket (thank you Cheryl!) and the fireplace going. I even lit the candles. Perfect setting for a lazy Sunday morning, not so much for motivating yourself to run in the cold.

But then I heard from Joy who agreed to run with me and she wasn't backing out either. See, the buddy system does work for accountability too! So out we went to tackle a 8 mile run in 23 degree (22 according to Joy) weather with hurricane force winds. Fine, maybe not that strong of winds but all too strong to make it easy to breathe. You know that moment when you get blasted in the face with a strong, cold wind and you gulp, not able to breathe? *Dislike*

We decided on Eisenhower instead of the Mt. Vernon trail in an attempt to keep us more sheltered from the wind. It was fine on the way down Eisenhower. But the way back was pure misery. As we crossed the bridge I wondered if the winds were strong enough to send me over the bridge, but luckily there's  a large fence so I think it would've caught me.

We finished the 8 mile goal and had almost another mile back to the car. Typically this would be great for a good cool down, but we were frozen so 'cooling down' was not necessary. Once we stopped running, the cold really set in. I couldn't feel my thighs, butt, fingertips, or my face. Misery. Shivering, we hopped in our cars, seat heaters on full blast!

Best.hot.shower.ever. I thought I was going to cry when I ran out of hot water. Then sneezing, snotty mess, and pain set in for both of us. So much so that we cancelled our date to visit our friend Ithamara and her new baby :( Probably wasn't going to be good to be around a new born in our state.

So even though we both suffered wind burned faces and an afternoon of chills, I'm so happy we didn't skip it. I'm also real proud of Joy. She just completed her first marathon in December in Hawaii, but hasn't really run since. So for her to just hop on board and run 8 was impressive to me. She's one of my inspirations for even attempting a half marathon. First thing she said to me after her marathon - "it was HORRIBLE and AMAZING all at the same time" and somehow I found that so inspiring!

Nate couldn't have been more excited that I didn't make him get on his bike to brave the cold while I ran. After a recent run I took the bike for a cool down so Nate could sneak in a quick run too. I then realized how much colder it is on a bike. Sorry babe! But you are the BEST for doing it, I feel so lucky!

Besides peanut butter and raisins, I have a new craving after my runs and that is Nate's solution to "I don't feel like cooking dinner" -
Stove top, chicken, corn and some shredded cheese. It's amazing. Try it! He also spoils me with delicious milkshakes. Love this guy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man! Good for you! I ran 7 in the snow on Saturday! It was pretty crappy, but today would have been worse. I doubt I would have done it. I totally would have hit up the treadmill!! You are a rockstar! Also, my new, post injury training schedule is probably close to yours since you ran 8 this weekend. We should go for a long run soon. (it would require my butt to stay in VA on the weekend I realize this :-D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, not sure I'll do that again, at least without a ski mask or planning the entire run *with* the wind. It wasn't bad without the wind.

    Ha - you do need to stay in VA one weekend, but I'd love to go home often if I could too.

    This upcoming Sunday is 9 miles, then I go on vacation, so I won't run a long run until March 4th. We'll figure one out soon though - I want to check out the Mt. Vernon trail.

    ReplyDelete