Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hallmark Holiday

Three years ago (wow... three years already?!) Nate and I celebrated our first Valentine's Day together. Being the first of our relationship, Nate really wanted to impress me. Little did he know, it truly wasn't necessary.

I got stuck at work, running about an hour late for our date. I didn't know the plans, just knew that we had a meeting time of 7pm but at 8pm I was finally leaving my office. Way to impress a new boyfriend, huh?

When I finally met up with him, I was less enthused about doing anything besides getting food asap. Nate told me he had fancy dinner reservations, but we could opt for pizza and sweats instead. Sign me up!

I think we both knew we really loved each other in that moment - him that I couldn't care less about a Hallmark Holiday and would choose a comfy night with pizza instead - and me that he was understanding that I was so late and willing to accommodate my exhaustion.

We ordered from Papa John's and the pizza arrived in a heart shape. Adorable. So with sweats on we decided to class it up with some red wine and BAM there started our Valentine's tradition.

So tonight we ordered our traditional pizza but were so bummed when it came in a regular circle. Listen, I don't care about flowers, chocolates, cards, etc. on Valentine's Day. But I want my heart shaped pizza dangit!

Who took the first slice?! (me!)


We opened another bottle of our Cuvaison wine, so here's Nate with a recap:

Tonight we enjoyed their 2009 Petite Syrah. It's a smooth drink with some complex underlying flavors and a crisp finish. You notice black cherry on the attack and bits of licorice, blackberry and pepper as it opens up. It paired very nicely with the pizza... even if the latter was misshapen.


Do you have a Valentine's Day tradition?

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I never had traditions with guys, but I have single girl V-day traditions. In college my roommates and I always went out for Mexican on Valentine's day. When someone had a date they didn't come but there was always at least 2 of us until senior year. Fun stuff. I brought that tradition back this year with my friend :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a blast! I love Mexican and wish I could eat it everyday.

    ReplyDelete